The U.S. Embassy in Chad is pleased to announce the annual competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship program. The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship is a one-year, full-scholarship program offered to mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment and the capacity to take full advantage of a self-defined program of independent study at one of the leading U.S. universities. This is NOT a degree-granting program, but rather is intended for professional development.
The candidates’ eligibility criteria follow:
- Possess an undergraduate (4 years of university studies) degree
- Have a minimum of five years of full-time, professional experience
- Have not attended graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more in the seven years prior to the start of the Fellowship
- Have not had more than six months of U.S. experience in the five years prior to the start of the Fellowship
- Should not be a teacher with no management or policy responsibilities, except for teachers of English as a foreign language and specialists in drug abuse prevention and treatment
- Should not have U.S. permanent resident status or dual U.S. citizenship
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities
- Possess a record of public service in the community
- Possess English language ability
- Have strong computer skills
Fields of Studies
Human and Institutional Capacity
- Economic Development
- Finance and Banking
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
Rights and Freedoms
- International Religious Freedom
- Law and Human Rights
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Contagious and Infectious Diseases
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
English Language Training
The Humphrey Fellowship Program offers a Long-Term English (LTE) language training opportunity to facilitate the participation of candidates from non-elite populations, rural areas, minority groups and others who may be excellent Humphrey Fellows but are lacking the necessary language skills. LTE participants will be brought to the United States for an intensive 16-week pre-academic program to improve the language skills.
- The online application can be found at : https://apply.iie.org/huberthhumphrey
- The deadline for submitting applications online is May 31, 2021.
- Applicants must provide transcripts and diplomas. Transcripts not in English should include an English translation.
- Applicants must provide two letters of reference (one from current employer).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the U.S. Embassy’s Public Affairs Section for additional instructions about the application process.
After a national selection, final nominations are reviewed in the United States by independent review committees, which will make their recommendations to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
To learn more about the Humphrey program, please visit the following website: Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship.