An official website of the United States government

March 19, 2020

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  If the parent(s) meets the transmission requirement, the U.S. Embassy can issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a U.S. passport.

We strongly recommend that the birth be reported to the Embassy as soon as possible.  Even if your child holds the nationality of a country other than the U.S., he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, as required by all U.S. citizens.

Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport for Your Child

In all cases, both parents must appear in person with the child when submitting an application.  If one parent is outside of Chad and unable to appear, a signed written consent (DS-3053) notarized by a U.S. Notary Public or U.S. Consular officer must be provided by that parent in addition to a copy of his/her passport.

What You Need:

  1. Complete the Consular Report of Birth Abroad application (Form DS 2029) (PDF 64 KB).
  2. The child’s official birth certificate (acte de naissance) issued by the Chadian authorities.
  3. Parents’ official marriage certificate (certificate de mariage) if applicable.
  4. Official divorce decree if either parent was previously married.  If one parent is deceased, please provide an official death certificate.
  5. Naturalization certificate for a naturalized parent(s) and the parents’ U.S. passport(s).
  6. Parents who have previously documented children born abroad should bring the other Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.
  7. For Passport information for a U.S. citizen minor, under the age of 16, first time applicant; please see the Passport Services page.


The total fee of USD 100.00 is required at the time of application.  The fee can be paid in equivalent CFA, based on the current exchange rate.