Demonstration Alert – Demonstration in N’Djamena, Chad (October 20, 2022)
Location: N’Djamena, Chad
Event: Reports indicate that there are planned demonstrations starting Thursday, October 20, 2022.
Opposition movements have called for demonstrations on Thursday, October 20, 2022, beginning and ending at undetermined times. The demonstrations are expected to start at the Place De La Nation and conclude at an undetermined location. These demonstrations are unauthorized and may be joined by multiple groups in N’Djamena. Police often intervene using tear gas to disperse participants demonstrating without authorization.
Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid the areas where demonstrations are taking place.
The Embassy will continue to evaluate the security situation surrounding the demonstrations and provide updates as appropriate.
On Thursday, October 20, 2021, the Embassy will have reduced staffing and/or limited operations: All routine visa and American Citizens Services are cancelled, and the library, and FCS office will be closed.
U.S. Citizens requiring emergency consular assistance on Thursday, October 20, 2021, may contact: (235) 6351 7800, (235) 6662 2100, or 301-985-8702.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings and demonstrations
- Seek shelter when gunfire is taking place.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
- Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
- State Department – Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with Clickatell.
Follow us on Facebook.
To unsubscribe from this list: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.