Demonstration Alert – Demonstration in N’Djamena, Chad (September 20, 2022)
Location: N’Djamena, Chad
Event: Reports indicate that there are planned demonstrations starting Wednesday, September 21st to Saturday, September 24th, 2022.
An opposition group has called for demonstrations on Wednesday, September 21st, to Saturday, September 24th, beginning at 0700 hours until an underdetermined time. The demonstrations are expected to start at the Place De La Nation and conclude at an undetermined location. These demonstrations are unauthorized, and police often intervene using tear gas to disperse participants demonstrating without authorization.
Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid the areas where demonstrations are taking place.
The Embassy will continue to evaluate the security situation surrounding the demonstrations and provide updates as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings and demonstrations
- Seek shelter when gunfire is taking place.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
- Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
- State Department – Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with Clickatell.
Follow us on Facebook.
To unsubscribe from this list: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.