Demonstration Alert: March in N'Djamena, Chad (August 20, 2021)
Location: N’Djamena, Chad
Event: There may be a protest march in N’Djamena on Saturday, August 21, 2021. The march would likely take place during the morning hours and is expected to begin at Rond-Point Hamama and end at the Palais du 15 Janvier.
Government security forces have sometimes deployed tear gas to disperse past protests.
Normal traffic may be disrupted during the march.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings and demonstrations
- Seek shelter when gunfire is taking place.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
- Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
- State Department – Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Chad Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with to receive SMS messages via Clickatell (in the event that the internet is not functioning).
- Follow us on Facebook.
To unsubscribe from this list: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.