Security Alert: Demonstrations in N'Djamena and Other Places in Chad (May 18, 2021)
Location: N’Djamena and Other Places in Chad
Event: Demonstrations may occur in N’Djamena and in other places in Chad on Wednesday, May 19. The times and specific locations are not known.
Government security forces have deployed tear gas to disperse past protests. There has been gunfire at prior demonstrations resulting in injuries and deaths.
Protests and demonstrations may continue in the coming weeks.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings and demonstrations
- Seek shelter when gunfire is taking place.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
- Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
- State Department – Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Chad Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with Clickatell.
- Follow us on Facebook.
To unsubscribe from this list: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.