Location: N’Djamena, Chad
Event: Clashes between security forces and demonstrators yesterday turned violent and resulted in numerous deaths and many injuries. Although the situation today is calmer, the situation is fluid and could change with little or no warning.
The Government of Chad announced the night curfew will continue tonight from 6:00pm until 6:00am in N’Djamena, Doba, Koumra, and possibly other cities. The government has not announced how long the curfew will be in place.
Due to ongoing security concerns, all routine visa and American Citizens Services are cancelled, and the library, and FCS office will be closed until further notice.
U.S. Embassy personnel have been advised they may leave their homes to purchase necessary supplies if their neighborhood is unaffected but should remain at home during curfew hours.
The Embassy will continue to evaluate the security situation surrounding the demonstrations and provide updates as appropriate.
U.S. Citizens requiring emergency consular assistance while the Embassy is on limited hours may contact: (235) 6351 7800, (235) 6662 2100, or 301-985-8702.
For non-emergency services, such as passport renewals, please contact us at NdjamenaACS@state.gov and we will respond as soon as possible.
Actions to Take:
- Have a personal emergency action plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Abide by the mandatory government curfew and avoid unnecessary travel.
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings and demonstrations.
- Seek shelter when gunfire is taking place.
- Take advantage of commercial transportation options if you wish to depart Chad.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- See our Alerts at State.Gov (Chad)and enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with Clickatell.
- U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
- Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
- State Department – Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Chad Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates and email us to register your cellphone number with Clickatell.
- Follow us on Facebook.
To unsubscribe from this list: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.